Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Math Is Ultimately Meaningless

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on May 1, 2001 16:38:09 UTC

This just occurred to me after I wrote my post to Dick:

Math is nothing more than logic applied to perceptions. When we say 1 + 1 = 2 we're not making any metaphysical statements about the universe, we are simply doing two very trivial things:

- defining what the symbol 2 stands for
- asserting that anyone who wants to use our symbol must abide by the above definition (that is, enforce logic)

The whole of math follows the same path of logic applied to trivial definitions, nothing metaphysical or universal about it, just a series of very complex and sophisticated assertions that are in essence nothing more than circular definitions. If you disagree that all math is circular, try to come up with an equation in which both sides don't add up to zero!

The only metaphysical thing about math and its relationship with reality is the existence of numbers. You can only define numbers in terms of one another but you can't define them without making references to human perception. In a humanless universe our laws of physics would be neither true nor false, they would simply be meaningless.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins