Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Purpose And Types Of Absolute Truth

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 14, 2001 23:41:29 UTC

Hi Dick,

On the purposes of absolute truth:

You said, "the concept "absolute truth" serves no purpose unless we can establish a relationship which can be accepted by the "communicators" as absolute truth".

In my view, there is almost no chance of establishing very many generally acceptable absolute truths that tell us much about the universe. The sinister thing is that the concept of absolute truth finds its greatest purpose in giving gullible people some reason to adhere to the ideas 'purveyed' by charlatans and the like. The fact that Jim Jones was able to convince his followers that he was in posession of absolute truth was what allowed him to hold such power over them. As a result, I think that the concept of absolute truth has done more harm than good.

On the types of absolute truth:

I think there are two types: One is the type I challenged people to provide an example of. That is, some statement in a human language that unambiguously and accurately describes something about reality. (I call that a profound absolute truth). So far, we have identified only one of these.

The second type (which I call a trivial absolute truth) is what you mentioned as "a truth which is true by definition". There are many examples of these undeniable truths: My car is a Mercury. George W. Bush is President of the US. 1+1=2. A bishop may only move along a diagonal. Etc.

These are truths simply because a group of people have agreed to call them true. These truths are very useful, however, because without them we would have a much harder time communicating and playing chess, among other things. None of these truths, however, tell us anything about reality.

Those are my thoughts.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins