Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes, We Agree Exactly.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 15, 2001 21:09:24 UTC

Dick,

"If they don’t [think for themselves], than they are no different than the rest of the animal kingdom."

I think you are exactly right. I think the job of humans in this and the following centuries, is to stop letting our behavior be determined by instinct and biology like all the other animals, and start controling our behavior by making deliberate, conscious, intellectually driven decisions.

We have made some modest inroads along this path in the past centuries in our control of such things as our own excretory functions. A little less progress maybe has been made in our sexual and eating practices. But, the way seems clear and there is hope that we can begin moving away from animal behavior and toward thinking behavior.

I just finished reading E.O. Wilson's "Consilience" in which he does a good job of outlining in broad terms how this changeover to intellect-driven behavior can be made. I think there is hope.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins