Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Atheist Logical Basis Is Not Circular.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on April 10, 2001 15:18:26 UTC

Brian,

You wrote:

> Either all religions are false, or only one is true.

I'm of the opinion that they are all based on false premises (the existence of God or supernatural influences). Some are more helpful and less hurtful to human progress than others.

> The first statement is a truth, it will lead an
> open mind and heart, to the answer of the first
> and second questions.

An "open heart" is an idea we still use today although it's based on ancient ignorance of where emotions originate. Why do you glorify ancient ignorance by using the phrase?

Was it Samuel Clemens who said "I like to keep an open mind, but not so open my brains fall out." Accepting the superstitions of religion make me think of that.

> Is there such a thing as absolute truth?

> Has God spoken?

I don't know about absolute truth, but I'm confident that God has not spoken, since if He had, the evidence would be much greater. I'm sure God didn't visit Joseph Smith. Smith's story changed several times. I'm confident Jesus Christ and Yahweh didn't exist because the Biblical accounts are much better explained as being fabrications among a little bit of history.

> I might point out, that..."There is no God, I
> can't see God, therefore, there is no God"...is
> the fundamental basis for atheism, and it is
> very circular.

That's not how it went for me. It was more like: "Is there a God? That would be nice, but I can't see God. Science seems to have satisfactory explanations for how the universe can function without God. Debunkers seem successful at exposing fraud in religion and other superstitions. If God existed the universe --- especially my life --- should be much different. Therefore, I don't think there is a God." It's not as circular as you suggest.

> Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life..."

You don't know that. All you can have confidence in is that the Gospel writers claimed He said that. Jesus of Nazareth probably didn't exist for a number of reasons, one is because Nazareth apparently did not exist as a community during that time.

http://atheists.org/church/ozjesus.html

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins