Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Laws Begin As Hypothesis, Then Theory, Then Law!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Yunus Robinson on April 2, 2001 23:04:22 UTC

That is how scientific ideas develop!

Now to the rest of your post!

True. After all, we still refer to Newton's ideas of gravity as 'Newton's Law of Gravity' despite the fact that it has been superseded by GR.

That has always puzzled me!

My intention is not to knock GR-far from it! I was merely discussing semantics. The words 'Law' and 'Theory' have different meanings.

An idea is regarded as a law if all observations support it. A theory is an idea that still awaits all required tests to be made from it, but is aready supported by many observations -at least that is my understanding.

That is why I refered to GR as a theory because it predicts the existance of gravity waves, yet we await for that prediction to be confirmed by observation which I hope will be soon by constructing instruments that will enable us to do that!

Regards
Yunus

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins