Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Atheists Vs. Agnostics

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Hartley DiBianca on March 21, 2001 01:47:46 UTC

Greetings, it has been about two years since I posted on this forum. I would like to comment on religious terminology and the views many people have on the subject. Perhaps some of you have delt with similiar individuals and situations, or disagree agree completely with what you are about to read.

First, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what atheism means and how it is defined. Second, agnosticism seems to get thrown around way to much as an actual religion while it is not. It does not mean one is undecided (although for practical pruposes it has come to mean this) but it does mean one holds the belief that it is impossible to know whether or not god(s) exist. This misunderstanding seems to persist in conjunction with the belief that atheists positively believe there is no god. This is equally as false. A break down of the word tranlates into not theist. Simply no positive believe that there is a god. A true atheist would be anyone who is undecided, doesn't care, or does hold a positive believe that there is no god. An agnostic could be an atheist or a theist. "I believe it is impossible to know whether or not god exists, but I have faith" or "I believe it is impossible to know whether or not god exists and I have no faith."

This may all seem like semantic, but some discussions become very difficult when they center around disagreements over terminology rather than substance. Substance can be very difficult (at least for me) to discuss when most of the time is spent on trivial issues.

Let me dig a little deeper. I believe agnosticism has emerged because atheism has been tagged as a dirty word. Much like reactionary or radical in politics have been deemed undesirable while conservative and progressive seem to be the words of choice. These terms, along with the classic liberal term, have been beat up and abused to much they are almost dead. Another conversation for another time.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins