Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Waiting For Reliable Supporting Experiments.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on March 19, 2001 20:18:11 UTC

I'll be skeptical about ESP and similar phenomena until I read some more support about it from essentially all groups that follow the correct procedure, including skeptics. Unfortunately, my reading of James Randi (the supernatural debunker) leads me to doubt occasional reports of positive supernatural results. Randi's reported experience was that positive results were sometimes reported by scientists who were drunk or otherwise careless in their observations and allowed themselves to be duped.

I'm waiting for the more skeptical segment of the population to do the same experiments. If a skeptic drops something it seems to fall the same rate as when a believer in gravity drops it. Thus, I accept the acceleration of gravity to be what the best experiments suggest it is. The same can't be said yet about ESP and similar things. Personally, I doubt that convincing evidence for ESP will ever exist except to those who believe in it already.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins