Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: What Biblical Events/Figures Are Historical?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on March 5, 2001 19:17:46 UTC

"Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet, claimed he was given golden plates, saw God and Jesus and other supernatural beings." This is the one that always got me! From a theist's perspective, you either believed him, in which case any rational person should immediately covert to his church, or if you didn't believe it you should have no respect for his church at all.

How theists of other religions could walk the line accepting neither of the above positions seemed to me to indicate that the only possibility was that they were lying about their own beliefs.

I figure people lie all the time. It is up to you to figure out the truth for yourself; you certainly cannot depend on authority to do it for you. They often have their own agenda.

Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins