Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Physics And Philosophy.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alexander on February 21, 2001 22:40:15 UTC

Well, I would recomment to start with Plato and other ancient philosophers only if you intend to study HISTORY OF PHYSICS or PHILOSOPHY.

To study PHYSICS itself, I would start with algebra and math analythis (calculus), then would move to mechanics, to conservation laws and symmetries, then to relativity (symmetry of motion). Then I would study newtonian gravitation and then general relativity. Then - move to quantum mechanics, and from there to electrodynamics.

[After that - to the particular branch of interest (solid state, plasma, particle physics, cosmology, quantum chemistry, biophysics, etc) if you want to make physics your profession. (To feel and understand physics better, it helps to do some research in physics or to teach physics or both).]

This way you will have a coherent "big picture" of how things are related to each other.

Of course, it is possible to go over some places in learning physics with algebraic background, but then there will be important missing "white spots" (in symmetries, GR, QM, QED) and the "big picture" will be rather blurry, or may not even be seen at all.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins