Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Some Ancients Had Odd Ideas That Were True.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 17, 2001 01:26:58 UTC

If you try hard enough you can examine the complete set of beliefs of superstitious persons or religions of the past and possibly find some ideas not generally accepted by the wise men of their time period, yet the ideas can turn out to be true according to modern science.

For example:

Some Chinese taught that the universe was made of (yu and chou) space and time and even joined them together as yu-chou. General relativity speaks about four dimentional space-time. Does this mean the Chinese were on the verge of discovering General Relativity and flying to the Moon and that the majority of the rest of their ideas about the universe were also true? Does it mean that if Newton and others had thrown away their western traditions to embrace all of Chinese philosophy we would be hundreds of years further along in science? I don't think so.

People reinterprete the revelations of John, Nostradamus, and others as new events seem to match their predictions. Does this mean the words of these people are prophetic? I don't think so.

Does the fact that one can do this re-interpreting of old ideas to make them appear to match modern ones indicate that the sources of the old ideas are reliable? I don't think so.

What is the best source of knowledge today? Is it scriptures and revelations from God or is it science? I claim it is science.

What knowledge has God revealed to us through the scriptures that we can't get through science? Nothing.

What do you think?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins