Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is There An Absolute Reality?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by John Morgan Powell on February 5, 2001 18:50:36 UTC

Alexander,

My definition may have to be discarded, but I'm not convinced yet.

I think of reality or absolute reality as an ideal we are striving to reach an understanding of. As we learn more we gain a better understanding of reality.

It's like learning about human beings. The absolute reality of humanity is an as yet undefined set of, perhaps mathematical, statements representing what humans really are. The idea of the absolute reality merely claims that humans really exist in some form. What that form is may have yet to be determined. "That form" is what I mean by reality.

Alexander, how would you characterize learning more about a thing, gaining a better understanding of it, when the "it" isn't assumed to exist in some absolutely real way?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins