Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The 'Language'!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by GwynJ on January 28, 2001 02:38:16 UTC

Ok. Try not to laugh; actually, no, go ahead if you want! But this curiosity has erupted:

In my (English) language, there are 26 symbols which represent how to pronounce sounds which make up common words.
1. a) How many languages are there on the planet which have symbols for the same sounds we use?
b) Using the "G" in my name, for instance, if I spoke (albeit, through an interpreter)to someone who did not have the English-assigned sound for 'G' or that symbol, how might I prove to that person it exists? How much would I have to leave to their trusting me that it's in use and widely recognized?

2. Given that some languages use unique sounds as well, and that there are sounds we make that are not assigned single symbols: would you say the number of 'unassigned sounds' is finite? or infinite?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins