Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Society As The Determinant Of Good/Evil Is Problemmatic

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on January 18, 2001 18:32:05 UTC

"Society does. Different cultures have determined what they call morality or standards of right conduct." -Go

There are a few typical philosophical arguments against the view that society is the main determinant of morality. I'll mention 3:

1) The first criticism comes by way of "counter arguments". Hitler's 3rd Reich for example, dictated that it was morally required to get jews executed in gas chambers. If society determines morality (and each "society" is morally equivalent), then the implication of your view is that Hitler's actions were justified because that's what society was dictating at the time. Most people probably wouldn't agree with that view.

2) If the particular society you belong to is always correct in determining morality, then it follows that it's always wrong to criticize that society. I like to think that society isn't always right and is far from perfect. It seems revolutionaries like Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr. and other social reformers would agree.

3) The major argument against this view is difficulties in defining society. What exactly does "society" constitute? What happens if I happen to be bi-racial and belong to 2 different cultures/societies, who's rules do I follow if the two cultures happen to have contradictory views?

- If you think that even one of the above criticisms holds water, than you're forced to reject the idea that society determines morality... or at the very least you'd have to revise it.

- I would think that to some extent, society does play a role in what we consider good and evil… but it's certainly not the only criterion (as has been demonstrated by these age old criticisms)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins