Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: I'm Not Sure Where I Mislead You

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on January 19, 2001 04:10:37 UTC

"Furthermore, the mere fact that 2 societies disagree on morality, it doesn't follow that both are equally right on the issue. If two people argue that the world is flat, it doesn't follow that both are equally correct, it's either one or the other... of course that's assuming that morality is something objective. "

Yes, absolutely, but morality is not objective. "the world is flat" and "murder is wrong" are on two entirely different levels. I suppose you could make the argument that if there is only one criteria determining morality, it is an objective value. Interesting take. I disagree though, for one reason.

Society by nature is a subjective thing. Different people view it differently. A subjective input does not translate to an objective output.

I don't think I stated my opinion well enough: yes morality is determined by the consequences of the act and by personal convictions, etc. , but the consequences of the act are determined by society. Personal convictions that disagree with laws and morals come from your upbringing, environment, genetics, etc. All determined by society. So. Society doesn't directly determine morality but all factors determining it can be traced back to it. I think you misunderstood what I meant by society. I wasn't referring to the objective portions of it (laws, rules) I was referring to the larger, subjective portions (mores, folkways) as well as the even more subjective factors such as environments, experiences, and the like.

Just because society determines your morality doesn't mean you agree with everything about it.

*looks up at the previous 20 lines.* Well, that was a lot of gibberish, but I'm too tired to edit it now. I'll come back tomorrow and argue some more. :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins