Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: KARMA..........the Buddhism Of Nicheren Daishonin

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Glenn on November 24, 2000 08:41:26 UTC

You wote:
....The deepest cycles of cause and effect extend beyond the present existence

...cause and effect both exist simultaneously within us in the present moment

.We create our own present and future by the choices we make each moment

Answer: Yes, that is true also in Buddhist teaching.

you wrote:
But our perspective on life and nature differs even more significantly on whether we create our own future. Based on that last statment of yours, you see the individual as responsible for everything that happens to him or her. That is one of the essential teachings of Buddhism. It's true, but not the whole truth.

For example, take the idea of coincidence. My life is ruled by it. Rather than making things happen, I just allow them to happen. Now we can use the idea of cause and effect here as well and say that the mystic law, or god, arranges these coincidences. Fine. But what I do not like about Buddhism is the result that the inidividual has such firm control on his or her behavior that the mystic law or god has little opportunity to arrange coincidences. To me, this creates bad Karma, to put it bluntly.

Answer: What u are familiar with is in HINAYANA BUDDHISM pessimistic approach on Karma. They take Karma as negative thingking as LIfe means full of suffering. Buddhism has been criticized as negative because it places strong emaphasis on the sufferings that life brings.But what could be more positive than confronting the reality of death, along with it's concomitant sufferings, and finding a way to cope with them ?
On the other hand, MAHAYANA Buddhism is positive outlook on life. A phrase in the LOTUS SUTRA says plainly :
" THIS WORLD ITSELF IS WHERE PEOPLE CAN LIVE IN HAPPINESS AND PEACE ". Far from being negative, a truly called GENUINE(TRUE) BUDDHISM affirms and exalts LIFE. For the buddhist philosophy of Eternal Life throughout the 3 existences in Life- past, present and future- is NOT an expedient designed TO persuade people to accept their mortality; it is a realistic and unfailing view of life established through myriad struggles agianst the sufferings of BIRTH, OLDA-AGE, SICKNESS AND DEATH. It teaches us to face up to the realities of Life with conviction and hope; it enjoins us to devote all our actions and our thoughts to the welfare of others, because COMPASSION is the ultimate source of COSMIC LIFE.
By cherishing this philosophy we can turn each difficulty into a source of power bringing joy to our lives. THe trials we face for the building of our character. Hardship becomes the fertile soil in which tiny new shoots spring up and flourish. Each bead of sweat expended in the struggle for self protection and the betterment of our society becomes the SEED of greater energy.
The quintessential BUDDHISM OF THE LOTUS SUTRA, the TRUE MAHAYANA SUTRA, became the mainstream of the Buddhist thought after the BUDHHA's passing. In the course of time, every philosophical and religious system inevitably engenders misunderstandings and perversions. Thus Buddhism gave birth to a large number of mistaken and different sects as we see all of them today in various asian countries.I want to say the Buddhism of Nicheren Daishonin revived the true spirit of Buddhism and the true spirit of the LOTUS SUTRA in the modern times.

Let me to share with u the practice Of Nicheren Buddhism which is unique among all other BUddhist school than u know.
HInayana Buddhism tries to scape reality and also tries to eradicate their desires because desires are the roots of all sufferings.If that is the case, then they are neglecting the potential for enlightenment or Buddhahood within themselves. But in MAHAYANA Buddhism particularly the Buddhism of Nicheren based on the Teaching of the Lotus sutra teaches the principle of "Earthly desires are Enlightenment " itself.To explain, "earthly desires" refers to sufferings and to the desires and cravings that cause sufferrings, while "enlightenment" refersn to attaining a vast expensive state of abosolute happiness(Buddhahood).Normally, one word assume that earthly desires and enlightenment are separate and distinct especially since suffering would seem to the exact opposite of happiness.
Nicheren Buddhism which teaches that only by igniting the "firewood" of earthly desires can be the " Flame of happiness" be attained. As a result our lives are infused with the light and energy of happiness. It is through Chanting(as what u had said) that we burn the firewood of our Earthly Desires.We chanted the name of MYSTIC LAW, the mystic truth that has always been in the lives of Each individual, as NICHEREN expressed it in a name phrase based on the Lotus sutra itself. In chanting, all our problems and sufferings are turned into energy for happiness, into fuel of advancement. The greater our problems the happier we stand to become. That is the wonderful thing about faith in the NICHEREN DAISHONIN'S BUDDHISM its capacity to transform people's lives from direst suffering into the greatest possible happiness, and turn the most daunting problems into a source of growth and a foundation of Human greatness.

you wrote:
"quantum physics- there is an elemant of freedom, of luck, of coincidence- which is more akin to western religion than Buddhism. Being fundamentally lazy, I prefer to have God shine the light on me than to do it all myself over thousands of lifetimes"

follow-up:
Our president in our organization Late Josei Toda had once said: Buddhism is win or lose.

Mr. Toda desciribe that in a certain, Since life is a gamble, If u are lucky you will win, he said, But if u are unlucky, then sometimes no matter how hard u try, you lose. This is a hard fact, this is witty. In addition, "GOOD FORTUNE IS ESSENTIAL". The key to creating good fortune is found in faith and chanting Daimoku(this term refer to chanting the name(a phrase) of Mystic LAw). I hope that u will act in accord with the fundamental law of Buddhism(or faith based on Mystic LAw) and lead victorious life fulfilled with unsurpassed good fortune.
Thus, practicing Buddhism of Nicheren is creating good fortune, great benefits and develop a strong happy life-condition which is BUddhahood or supreme happiness and thus changing our bad karma into a good karma.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins