Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Now I See

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by GwynJ on November 19, 2000 20:25:17 UTC

Check again, making sure you look in the 4th book of the new test., not the John 1 and 2 later in the nt. Chapter 20, verse 29. Jesus was talking to Thomas (of 'doubting Thomas' fame, because here's a guy who saw the resurrected jesus and STILL says prove it). obviously, in the fabric of time, we don't all live in the same era and see things for ourselves, so it's not a requirement to shake jesus' hand to have eternal life. plus, without the usual passing down of stories straight from witness' mouth (like we have old folks who tell us about wars), there is that telephone effect. what it boils down to is it doesn't matter who or 'when' you are, it's equal opportunity to trust he existed and defeated the grave and won heaven for us. i see how love has prevailed in so many ways, and so i find it easy to believe the one who made us would go to such lengths to preserve our companionship. i can also see why there are passages that say 'anyone who messes with these words is going to have to contend with me for leading my flock astray.' did i get off on a tangent, or did that answer your question? i've heard sermons and talk shows and later found the dorks were way off the mark (one in particular loves to point out how you should give your $ all the time!). i only read the bible, initially, a few years ago to see about the natural occurrences in it, then went on to read the rest. made a whole lotta sense, plus made me wonder whatEVER made some dorks think that what they did was SANCTIONED. i mean, it says SPECIFICALLY, don't torture people to believe, don't get in their WAY and twist words, etc etc. Esp. in that book of John - i could see why a believer friend told me to start with that then read the rest of the NT. the book with all the begats in the OT can be prettttty boring, but one can see it's necessary because of the geneaological references to Jesus. some like to trace their own ancestry back to him, but it cannot be done because not long after he died the records were destroyed. the fact that the prophesies in the OT coming true in the NT in a single person have the possibility of 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000. Do you suppose there had been that many people having lived by that time on the earth? (that last figure came from a book called 'Betrayed!' - i don't remember the author's name, who was a Jew whose daughter converted to a Messianic Jew, and then he could see why). there IS a tangent, i better end this post! sorry! g

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins