Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No Worries :)

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 14, 2000 19:13:25 UTC

Ok, i`ve got about 25 minutes or so until my genetics midterm, so forgive me for answering your well done detailed rebuttle with a crappy small paragraph response of my own.

1) Thanks for the tip, i will henceforth italicize instead of using quotations cuz it`s so much niftier and aesthetically pleasing. :)

2) Regarding maturity of humanity: Well, we had to learn these hard lessons you`ve proposed. First i must question whether or not we`ve actually matured since. The threat of nuclear war may not be as looming as it once has been, but other more subtle forms of imperialism are happening - be it cultural or through economical means. Just take a look at this little trend:

WWI - once thought to be the most atrocious act in history, showed the deplorable extremes to human agression. WWII - about 15 years later, we did it again... this time with the atomic bomb. KOREA - yup, another war. VIETNAM - yet another war rooted in ideological motives: capitalism vs. communism. GULF WAR - all out scud missle party that highlighted how efficiently we can blow stuff up. MIDDLE-EAST/BOSNIA/YUGOSLAVIA- senseless war continues, lives are needlessly wasted every day. It`s still happening.

So my point is, humanity really hasn`t learned that much despite the hard lessons we`ve witnessed. The trend of fighting for ideology, economic, etc. persists. History has shown us time and time again, the Hitlers (charismatic, dictatorial leaders) take power.

Furthermore, God seemed into intervene alot more in the old testament. Heck, he`d openly push on certain conflicts so that the Jew`s would win in certain instances. In others, he`d let some other race win ex. Philistines, to punish the Jews.

3) Regarding free will: I see Christianity and free will as being contradicted sometimes. For instance, Christains often refer to themselves as "instruments of God`s will". If you`re somebody`s instrument, then you`re just a tool that somebody else manipulates... how can there be free will there? or is "heaven" giving up your free will for God? If that`s the case, then free will isn`t really a big deal in the first place, and his intervention would mean everybody would be his "tool".

That`s all for now. I`ve got about 8 mins. Time to sprint to the exam room!

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins