Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Digressions Galore

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on October 17, 2000 20:29:50 UTC

"How d`you think that exam went? Do pretty well, y`reckon?"

yeah, i think i did pretty well :) I`d never written that sort of gene mapping test before, but i did alot of practice exams, so i think i did just fine, thanks :) Of course i wont receive the actual results for a couple weeks or so, professors are lazy bums that get their peons to do all their marking :)

"It does look cool. You can make words colored by typing this (without the spaces, of
course.) < f o n t c o l o r = f f 0 0 0 0 >"

I can`t tell you how cool that is. In fact, i will test it now. i am now typing colored text. Check it out mum, i rock

"didn`t actually mean the maturity of humanity as a whole. The human race, that is. I actually meant the maturing of humanities individuals."

Alright, i getcha. We learn from observation i suppose, but i view the price as needlessly costly. I think we could`ve gotten the message that overt conflict is bad by now, without the wars that are still occuring today. Is it worth having millions die so that there will exist a precious enlightened few?

Does a saint have anymore free will than a sinner? why could God then not have created more saints?

Many sociologists have created a model of "peace" in societies (i forget the names of the people that came up with the model). They contend that within a society, conflict rages on between certain groups for power. Each group tries to increase its own sphere of power so that they can exert their own interests. As long as no single group stands to gain anything from overt conflict (war) a stalemate is reached. We call these times peace.
However, when one group can gain alot through agressive means, open war will break out. Thus, concealed conflict becomes openly manifest in war.

Perhaps conflict is an invariable part of our nature? It may be a bleak view of humanity, but if it`s true, it is better to acknowledge that such weaknesses exist, than to try to hide it.

According to this model (which is horribly simplified), people are always in conflict. Perhaps it`s unavoidable a part of our nature, that there will always be those that crave power. That`s probably why communism didn`t work. Absolute power tends to corrupt entirely. In principle communism seems like a great idea, i agree. Classless society, no central government, to each according to his needs - it`s great. Unfortunately as you pointed out, there will be scumbags that ruin it for everybody else.

"humanity just refuses to know this. IF people weren`t slaves to their own entertainment and realized that it`s our own fault when people like these take control, then maybe (not likely) we`d figure out that we need to know a little more about history."

"Slaves". How very anti free will :)
Yes, an unacceptable number of people are "lazy". I would contend that boredom is the biggest epidemic in northamerica today. It`s explicit in the formation of "fantasy cities" (a great book by the way, damn, i forget the author), about how cities have now stunted growth industrially. With the disillusionment that resources are not unlimited (1950s mentality) and they actually do produce pollution, cities have sprung up for the sole purpose of entertainment. There`s a Cineplex Odeon/Disney/Hardrock Cafe/6 Flags, bustling with nightlife in every major northamerican city. This is quite possibly to provide a sort of social anesthetic to the growing conditions of poverty and social inequality in today`s urban areas. People are seeking these sources of entertainment to escape the realities of real life - and there are serious problems. The result is the contrast between a glittering attractive virtual fun world powered by the all mighty dollar, and an other shaddy underworld inhabited by the social outcasts and the legions of homeless - many of which have mental disabilities.

But there are many young people that do care about their government, and the world they`re inheriting. The World Trade Organization demonstrations showcased very angry young people that believe change can no longer be achieved through diplomatic means. The bureaucracy has become too "red tape" sticky.
The bottom line is, young folks are frustrated about the condition of the environment, and the vast myriad of social problems. The status quo remains - and the upcoming election (Gore or Bush?) isn`t likely to create radical reforms necessary to combat these problems.

There may be lazy folks, but it`s also coupled with the fact that change is so difficult to instigate in our conservative government that refuses to buckle because everything takes second place to MONEY. It`s the capitalist way, and it`s a bloody shame.

"Yes and no.... Christians are tools of God`s will only by choice"

A willing slave is still a slave nonetheless. I prefer to live my life through trial and error. It seems to work for nature, so i`ll give it try. I`ll let you how well it worked out when i hit that all dreaded dirt nap.

"Anyway, in my experience, the bible doesn`t say you can`t choose to drop from paradise into hell, though it DOES say that you cannot have your salvation taken away from you.... Maybe after your sins are absolved and you exist in a sinless place as a sinless being, you no longer need a savior, only a brother, or a father, or a guide."

Maybe it`s just the evil in me talking, but that balance between good and evil present in every human being is magnificent. It`s like when you listen to some Mozart and think - holy Language Removed, a human being actually wrote that - not a divine being, but one of us. We can seek to make humanity better, but even nature doesn`t attain perfection.

I can`t imagine what heaven would be like - but to me the description makes it sound sterile. I have flaws, but that`s fine with me - because i learn from them. A person that lives never knowing failure, hasn`t led a very full life. Mistakes are all part of the learning process
Some level of adversity tends to make us tough. If i were suddenly thrust into a sinless world where everybody was absolutely flawless, and good - i would conclude that i was no longer human.

"Procrastination is good for the cardiovascular system!! :)

Hahahahhahaa.
Laughing is good for it too :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins