Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Where Are They?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Wright on September 6, 2000 18:32:00 UTC

Bzrd, you fail to realize the implications of relativity. All electro-magentic radiation travels at the speed of light. Our very first radio broadcasts (electromagnetic radiation) have not even passed the 100 light-year mark or so. An intelligent civilization would have to wait until our radio signals reached their solar system, their planet, to detect it. Our solar system is approximately 100,000 light-years in diameter. I do not know our exact position in our galaxy, I know we are on one of the "arms" (Virgo?), roughly estimated at 15-20000 ly away from the edge (someone correct me i am not sure and i couldn`t find the map on the net). This means we would have to wait 80-85000 years for our radio broadcasts to reach the opposite end of the galaxy. So give it time, friends. And you can forget about ETs in galaxies far far away, because that would mean they evolved billions of eyars ago, not likely b/c of the ratio of elements in the stars back then...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins