Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Http://www.urantia.org/

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rowanda on March 18, 2005 13:56:19 UTC

Dear Antti Roine,

I gather that the point of your post is summed up in the following paragraph:

"We may find a lot of truth, for example, from the Koran, Bible and also from the Urantia Book, which gives a logical explanation of why we are here, where we come from and where we are going. Our world and language are changing all the time; we do not need to stick with thousand-year-old assumptions and interpretations in science and religion. We have enough old rituals, holy icons and empty phrases. Instead we deserve dynamic and living science, faith and religion, which really affect our daily life. "

So the purpose of your post is to promote the Urantia Book. Nothing wrong about that. It got me to visit the Urantia website.

Well a 2,000 plus page book will take awhile to read. But I did notice one excerpt that sort of typifies the entirety of the book:

"Christ Michael did not progressively become God. God did not, at some vital moment in the earth life of Jesus, become man. Jesus was God and man--always and even forevermore. "

Seems we have Michael on Urantia and Jesus on earth both becoming the supreme god. Can this be explained?

In addition, the whole Urantia message seems to downplay the Goddess. There is no room for the mother god in Urantia. In our ordinary life, the important relationships are between a man and a woman, with the woman becomming more and more equal.

Yet Urantia is characterized by this quote:

"With God the Father, sonship is the great relationship"

It's the son that counts. The mother is removed from the scene. That's old time religion and male dominance. No mention of Asherwah, the consort of Yahweh. No concept of a mother-father god. In Christianity the work of the mother to guide and protect the earth and its nature is given over to Satan, and not even a female Satan.

No science that I can see in the Urantis Book, the science of nature that is. Christianity tends to subordinate the needs of nature and its preservation to the needs of man. You can see that is the govt of the USA. That is essentially anti-scientific. So my guess is that Urantia is anti-science, just like that govt. But I should wait on stating such an opinion until I read more of the book. But having seen this sort pf publication many times before- it's very new age, it's easy to typecast it.

But Antti you hedged your post with much talk of science. So I would like you to indicate how Urantia supports science, or does it just offer up its own truth so that we need not think about such things any more?

YES,

wanda

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins