Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Did Not Think Earth Only Inhabitable But Opposite

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Jnan R. Saha on January 9, 2005 00:38:35 UTC

I am curious as to why you think that the Earth is the only inhabitable planet?

Is that a logical determination or a gut feeling thing?
==============================
Dear Duane:
I do not think Earth is the only habitable place in the universe. I believe that there are billions of planets in our Milky Way Galaxy alone and millions are habitable by intelligent creatures. In the early sixties I made a probabilistic estimate of human like technological intelligent beings inhabitating those planets. With liberal calculations I came out with a figure of one million planets in our galaxy with intelligent beings capable to communicate with other intersteller intelligence by radio waves.
Even with all those intelligent civilizations the probability very small of contact, I calculated was one radio contact in 10 years. If I am off in my calculation say by half, one contact in 20 years. If off by tenth then one contact in 100 years, and so on, given that whole sky has been scanned as its now by SETI watchers. Therefore, even if the SETI watchers do not get any contact in the next hundred years, they should not stop, one day they will have contact.
I made the comment that the earth is the only place our human race can live in. No matter how much technologically we evolve, there is no chance that humans will be able to make intersteller journey. The distances between the stars is that great!If the human race go the way of dinosaurs, it will happen on this earth. Even if humans attain the capability for intersteller flight, they will kill each other before because with advancement they find more efficient ways to kill each other. Best regards,
Jnan

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins