Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Nebulous Concepts Versus Materialism

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on November 3, 2004 16:19:21 UTC

Harvey:"I think the premise that the universe is eternal without there being a 'God' is more problematical than the universe being infinite or finite as a result of God's existence." Mario: Why? The only justification for that that I can see is that God is a more nebulous concept that can fit any hole you feel like putting it into.

'God' is a much more parsimonious solution to the universe versus a materialist one. In the case of a materialist solution, we should eliminate as real the following:

truth
cause
logic
mathematical order
physical laws
material properties (i.e., universals)
objects as real
etc....

I can't accept these concepts as epiphenomenal. In addition, the concept of 'God' is easily deducible based on believable premises:

1) The universe has mathematical laws in place that cause the universe to behave mathematically

2) Mathematical laws stem from simple axioms being 'true'

3) Truth is a real concept that exists

4) Truth is equivalent to 'intelligence'

C) God exists

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins