Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Eternal Matter?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on November 3, 2004 00:20:29 UTC

Hello Mario,

If you claim that God is eternal, you're making an admission that it is possible for something to exist without a cause, that is, something either responsible for its own existence or simply neverending. If you can apply that trait to God, why not the universe instead and just simplify the question??

How's life? Are you still pursuing engineering?

Regarding your rhetorical question, if we consider matter/energy as eternal, then there can be no creation or destruction of matter/energy (by definition of matter/energy as being eternal). This contradicts the quantum theoretical concept of 'virtual particles' as the actual creation/destruction of matter/energy (i.e., due to the uncertainty principle). I guess it's possible to consider virtual particles as an abstraction (not a real aspect of the universe), however there is a deeper problem with an eternal universe.

With respect to God, one can argue that causality in the universe is a consequence of God (i.e., God as 'truth', God as 'logic', God as 'mathematical order', etc). In case of a materially world as primary, causality is a result of material processes, and therefore there are no real causes in the world. That's problematical since science gives the impression at least that there are genuine causes to things. Anyway, I think the premise that the universe is eternal without there being a 'God' is more problematical than the universe being infinite or finite as a result of God's existence.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins