Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
God In The Gaps

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on November 2, 2004 23:05:08 UTC

I'm no theosophist, but I don't neccesarily think that an "Unmoved Mover" is neccesarily the best explanation for a deity. In my opinion (which again is pretty unrefined) it just pushes the question back. The very idea of God came from the question "Where did all this come from?" and saying "God did it" just forces you to ask the same question of God. If you claim that God is eternal, you're making an admission that it is possible for something to exist without a cause, that is, something either responsible for its own existence or simply neverending. If you can apply that trait to God, why not the universe instead and just simplify the question?

My own ideas on a possible God are more pantheistic than anything else, I think that God is either the fundamental principle governing the nature of the universe, or it exists coterminous with the universe. Of course this all depends on what you mean by "God".... fundies throw the term around like it defines itself and needs no clarification.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins