Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sometimes Religion, Anonymous Glenn, Is "morality For Profit"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by M.W.Pearson on April 30, 2004 21:56:43 UTC

"... in Buddhism we have to work out our own salvation. We don’t expect a savior to do it for us.

I don't see any evidence that this is true.
Want to flesh it out?

With regard to karma, as I understand it, Christians don’t believe that every volitional action has a consequence. Instead, they ask for forgiveness so as to erase the previous error. This, as I see it, can lead to immorality as there are no actual consequences for inappropriate actions. In Buddhism everyone has another chance—in fact many lifetimes of other chances. But with karma, at some future point, everyone will still have to pay for their mistakes. No free lunches here. You goof, you pay.

Moreover, As I see it, to be frank, Christianity has no system of virtues and wisdom whereby one learns how to become detached from the sensuous world and thereby realize one’s fundamental nature."

Hi, Frank. What are the activities that you do when you are "detached from the sensuous world"?
Would those activities bear examination as to whether they involve some of the other vices, or must we take your word for it?

Nor, have I met any Christians who really know how to deal with their ignorance, desire, and hatred except to pray when they are in a jam. Where is meditation? Where is practice?

This is not a rigorous sampling method. If you draw such a connection between Buddhism and science, as you have previously, why would you not use a scientific sampling method when describing Christians?

Where is the Eight Fold Path?

So, do you believe any religion, to be valid, must have a path with precisely eight folds?

...if Jesus had rid the world of sin, declaring in effect, that sin has no power over us, then what more is there to be done, except wait to die hoping eventually to go to heaven?"

"Sin" is used as a tool of blackmail among non-followers of Jesus. Among His strongholds, it is not.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins