Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Do You Mean By "We", White Man?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on January 2, 2004 20:24:47 UTC

Hi Wanda,

I am short of time too so this will be short. I hope it reaches you before you leave.

"The knower is a detector in the metaphor. Moreover, it is a detector that can move about outside the body, if OBE is extant.

I cannot think of anything in the natural waorld that behaves like that. Perhaps you can."

You are right, I can't either. But that is why I think it would be so fruitful to use artificial metaphors in addition to natural ones. If there is something in the natural world that behaves like that it is the very mystery of conscious life that we are trying to explain in the first place.

So the artificial metaphor I like to use is a martian rover operated by a scientist at JPL. Here we have an apparently sentient, autonomous being (the martian rover) which, from the standpoint of Martians who don't know about earth scientists or their machines, act as if they were conscious.

In reality, the rover is not conscious but is connected to a sentient operator millions of miles away, who vicariously sees what the rover "sees", and who is able to control the rover's movements by exercising free will (resident in the JPL scientist). To the Martians observing the rover, the rover itself seems to be able to see, percieve, react to its environment, and exercise free will.

All of the mechanisms to allow this to happen are well known and I see no reason why similar mechanisms can't explain the behavior of living organisms with a single consciousness outside of 4D space-time operating them all. I think such a scenario explains an awful lot of mysterious questions.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins