Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
N Th End U'll Go To Hell Or Hadleyburg; Try&make It The Former!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Not On Your Life on December 14, 2003 00:59:00 UTC

Hi William
It's an effort worth making, to open a converssation about the nature of God.
John Stuart Mill was a famous utilitarian
and is some places listed as having an IQ of 218. I trust you can field a few questions.
You wrote "in the end" which gives me pause to wonder...
because there is no "end" that is simultaneous for the "greatest number." How long does the "end" last? Is it a moment of pleasure at the end of a long dark night of apparent mismanagement after which we are awarded with the "end," and we realize it was not cruel, wasteful and capricious management we were experiencing after all?
And the phrase "have faith in God" which closes the essay, reminds me of Mark Twain's story,
The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg
(if I have the title right)
Churches do not confer wisdom on folks. They're just a body of believers -- as in every religion.
Would you have God's system managed through those churches...or not?
Thanks.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins