Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes It Seems To Be By Definition

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Clerk on December 12, 2003 02:41:52 UTC

True, the definition of death is the ceasation of electrical activity in the brain. So the question is whether consciousness is dependent on such activity. For now I assume that it is.

Interesting that you mentioned consciousness outside of the body. Although I am an atheist, I am interested in any possibility that consciousness could exist without such electrical activity. Greener pastures I guess.

That has made me a student of the paranormal, which does not seem to be well received on this forum. My one post on the subject got no responses until I complained, in a sense; and then I was told that no one was interested.

But besides the obvious ESP aspects of the paranormal, these studies have included out of body experience. My uncertainty in this regard is that I am unable to determine if the consciousness that remains extant in OBE is in the body or outside. Perhaps it is just a vivid dream with paranormal properties???

For me that is the big question- what is the seat of consciousness during OBE. Certainly there is continuous electrical activity in the brain during OBE, although I do not know of any experiments where such measurements were made during OBE. In fact, I do not know of any OBE experiments at all. It seems we are both looking for evidence.

Regards,

Rawson

PS: In western religion your consciousness goes to heaven, presuming that you are saved. I did not know that in eastern religions you consciousness ceased to exist, even if you attained Nirvana. So what's the point of salvation if you cease to exist.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins