Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hi RoWanda, There Is A Fourth Choice...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Not On Your Life on December 9, 2003 22:59:15 UTC

"The big question is whether my consciousness
will survive my death"

PCula asked: "Does consciousness arise purely from the physical brain state? ... You might notice that I didn't answer your question."

How many persons on this forum are actually conscious at all? Some, such as "Secretary," appear only as twerpy demon-voices, devoid of any soul, goodness or human feeling. Others of us are sleepwalking through life, accepting the world's consumer culture as if it were Gospel... and so, what consciousness is there to lose? Should we wish to wallow in this vat of spiritual junk food forever? But we do long for continuance anyway. There's an old quotation, "The long habit of living indisposeth us to dying."

Many of us have forgotten what not living is like, even though we experienced it only a few decades ago.
Why is this? Is it
1) because we never remember things from a time when we were not living? or
2) because our priorities are misplaced, and we
are overly-occupied by the distractions of this world?
(Isaac Newton, Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin and others made their discoveries in part by being completely concentrated on the question -- not fleetingly considering it.)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins