Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
And What Of "hateth His Life In This World Shall. . ."?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Joseph on November 10, 2003 20:44:25 UTC

You didn't complete your interpretation.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal."

Actually, your "A=B" logic would more accurately go something like this: 1: die = bear fruit, 2: love life = die, and therefore: "If you love your life you will die and your dying will bear fruit."

I find this interpretation rather lacking. First, everyone dies, it's not a privilage (certainly Jesus knew this); second, it seems to go against the broader teachings of Jesus. (More on that later).

Still though, not to split hairs, it's an interesting interpretation, no doubt.

P.S.
In general loving your life has nothing to do with bearing fruit. . . certainly not good fruit. Many morally corrupt people love their lives. (Though this, i know, is not what we are debating now.)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins