Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Experience With Christian Churches

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on November 4, 2003 13:01:59 UTC

In the late 1970s my home was a halfway house for Cambodian refugees. In this endeavour I was supported by a committee of all the churches in town including the Catholic Churches, but not including the 'born again' church.

So during this time, as it took considerable time, I got to talk about christianity with representatives from every mainstream Protestant church and the two catholic churches.

I can report that the christianity Harvey expresses is that of mainstream christianity. The Unitarian Chriches, both of them, were more on the humanist side while the Episcopal Chruch and the Greek Orthodox Church were more into ritual. But they all were in agreement that helping the Cambodian refugees was a very good work.

The 'born again' churches did not participate. I am not sure why, but I would guess based on what I read on this forum that good works are not important in that type of church.

Now I think I am impartial because from my jewish perspective of what Jesus taught, churches should not even exist, as he taught where to pray:

Matt.6
[5] "And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
[6] But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

BTW- My synagogue was also part of that committee. So jews and christians got together for good works, but the 'born agains' stayed away.

salom,
Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins