Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Eric

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 30, 2003 16:12:57 UTC

Do you know what the Lord of the Universe said about the words in I Samuel 15 ? He called them the scriptures. He called them His own words.

This is false. As Colossians 2 made clear, these were all based on human teachings that were self-imposed worship. Why won't you accept this point? It is very clear.

I am really concerned about you, Harv. Specifically, your view of God’s word.

And, I am very, very concerned about your views. Your argument that there is a difference between a “...belief about God makes you evil” versus a “...belief about I Samuel 15 points to an evil God” is an over-simplification. Beliefs can make one evil even if their actions do not necessarily reflect an evil mind. True, we all have evil thoughts and beliefs, however to hold a view that is totally against God's nature and is unChristian can make one a non-Christian simply because this is what they believe. For example, if I said I believe that God is not really concerned about human beings, then I by default become non-Christian. How can one be a Christian if they believe that about God? Similarly, if one has a belief of God that is anti-Christian, such as that he periodically orders military leaders to purposely kill civilians and animals, then that belief is not Christian, and it reflects negatively on that person being a Christian. Now, one could say that they don't understand it (which is the appropriate response for a fundamentalist), but to purport to understand it in a way that explains it, definitely endangers one to not being a Christian. Similarly, holding views that salvation is only for a minor number of people and the majority suffer hell fire for eternity, is in my mind a very non-Christian attribute to place on God, and the very belief might be considered blasphemous and separate oneself from believing in the Christian God. What we believe is serious stuff and it defines who we are.

“Lord” of the Universe… Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name ?
Do you know what the Lord said about some people that will come to Him saying this ?
Maybe this part should be lumped with I Samuel 15 so you can ignore it too as reality.

Eric, if only you see how foolish you are talking. You are convicting God of not being Christian in behavior (as in I Sam 15), and then purporting that anyone who disagrees is endanger of hell fire. Do you not see the hypocricy? You put yourself in the same position of the Pharisees who knew that Jesus rejected the law of Moses when asked about the fate of the adultery of that woman. You will not reject the obvious wrong commandment, and in doing so, you side yourself with a Pharisee mindset - contrary to the mindset of Jesus who rejected those laws because he knew they were written codes by humans based on their own self-imposed worship. You lack this ability to do so, even when you know that Jesus would never have told Saul to kill those people. You hold out hope of a justification of that 'divine' command, but you do not provide it. It is like saying that there is justification for the Holocaust if only we wait to hear what it is. I don't have to wait. The action alone tells me that there is no divine justification for such an action, and anyone who thinks there is, is not in the right mindset.

You need to check what the Holy Spirit says about that Book.

You confuse a book with God's words, which are not equivalent.

If you haven’t really entered into a loving relationship with Him, please ignore any admonitions in this post, but if you have, I hope you know that this is part of our calling – to turn a brother that begins to wander off the narrow path.

Eric, you need to know this honestly. What you believe about God is not Christian. Repeat, it is not Christian. By using Christian verbage to condemn, you are only condemning yourself. Before one can condemn they must first clean house themselves. And, your house is not clean. You must reject the law and the teachings that are contrary to God, and if you are unwilling to do so, then you are not on the right path. Dismiss this if you will, but I speak frankly.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins