Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It's Not Correct

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 30, 2003 17:02:52 UTC

Mario, the whole notion of the early Christians as being fundamentalist is bunk. The early Christians saw scriptures as a source of inspiration, to be sure, but they did not believe that the correct interpretation of a scripture was literal (i.e., fundamentalist). If you look at each of the Messiah prophecies that the Christians used as evidence of Jesus' ministry, the scriptures were all taken out of context and the correct context was correctly understood at the time.

In addition, Jude mentions an Apocyrpha book as though it was inspired, which shows that early Christians did not limit themselves to just the 66 books of the KJV of the bible. The situation only worsened as the Church aged where there were many various disputes about which books should be included as part of the canon. What is very clear is that fundamentalism was never a major aspect of Christianity until the Protestant period when the bible became widely available with the advent of the printing press.

Fundamentalism is just plain wrong. It is not part of the history of the Christian church, and even today, fundamentalist churches are still a minority of the whole Christian church. They try to promote the image that they are the true Christians, but it is just hogwash. Don't believe it.

Taking this as the most basic, simple definiton, all the intolerance and bigotry you call unChristian is part and parcel of the source of the Christian faith. Ah, the irony. Think of the irony..

I guess it depends on what you mean the source. I see God as the source of the Christian faith, which is why we have a free society and a scientific enterprise that was given birth in such a culture (science tried to spurt up in many places and times, but all failed). It was only after the invasions of Europe ceased that the Christian mindset took over Europe and created universities, science, philosophy, etc. Jesus' ministry, I think, is responsible for all of it. Think of the irony of that.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins