Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Section VIII

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 28, 2003 19:10:32 UTC

The point is you can't send an instantaneous message [such as a message which gives information about an event which hasn't happened yet {no causal relationship can exist which requires information to propagate faster than the speed of light}] using quantum non-local effects.

Well, I understand the conclusion, it is arriving at that conclusion with respect to the thought experiment that is perplexing to me. That is, if the first thought experiment where Bob reaches M31 and sends an instant message to Alice is allowable, and then Bob does the same kind of messaging in the second thought experiment, but this time going at 80% the speed of light, then the question is - what prevents causal loops as long as the quantum experiments are performed in a legitimate matter?

I read even section VIII, but the point that I extracted from that paper (with respect to non-local entangled particles) is that quantum randomness prevents non-local signals to be used as a signal that carries a message. The thought experiment that I mentioned does not suffer from this problem since it uses mutually exclusive entangled states (with one particle state being more probable if the wave function is 'collapsed' by measurement). This difference in probability of the collapse is what is being exploited by the sender to the receiver. However, if this is really possible, then it would seem that instant messages could violate special relativity.

I guess what I'm asking is what do you see faulty in either or both of these thought experiments. Surely, it can't be going 80% the speed of light (in terms of a thought experiment). It can't be entangled particles that are mutually exclusive at non-local distances (since this has been done in experiments). What is it specifically that is faulty with these thought experiments?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins