Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Is It Really A Mistake?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 2, 2003 14:24:01 UTC

Bruce,

I don't understand your reply by saying that assuming synchronous clocks is a mistake. All one is doing is carrying box F further than one light minute away from earth (i.e., a little over 11 million miles). Granted, 11 million miles is a long way, but we cannot expect a moving spacecraft (at non-relativistic speeds) that arrives at its destination a little over 11 million miles away not to be in approximate clock sync with an earthbound observer's clock? That seems like a stretch to me. What is magical about 11 million miles? Why not 1,000 miles in orbit? Can an earthbound clock and a satellite clock be in approximate sync? The thought experiment doesn't require exact synchronous clocks even such a concept were even physically possible.

I'd like to hear your reply to this issue. Also, I'd like to know if you think it is necessary that QM and SR agree. In my mind, there is no such requirement at this stage since we are not claiming these theories to be a full logical understanding of nature. What is your view?

Btw, I found another paper published in Phys. Rev. Letters in 2002 which also shows another conflict between QM and SR. Of course, the conflicts between QM and GR are much more well documented. I see no problem with theoretical conflicts since no one is claiming a complete understanding of nature.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins