Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Issue Of Quackery...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Tim on September 26, 2003 02:36:29 UTC

"Doesn't it ever occur to you that you might be blind to the shrouds used by a quack? And if that were the case, you would not think the quack is a quack?"

yes it does occur to me. you just made me realize something though. a good bit of the first part of Dr. Dick's work deals with this very issue.

for example:quoting from Foundations of Physical Reality:
"It is actually quite astonishing how much supposedly "scientific" work is based on blind unthoughtout faith in the correctness of our authorities. One should recognize that misdirection of attention is the essence of magic and, with it, magicians can hide errors in our perceptions for years -- even when we know they are trying to fool us. How much worse off are we when we don't even know we are being fooled.

I am of the opinion that we make the mistake of relegating the problem of miss-perception to parlor games. Against all evidence to the contrary, it is the standard assumption of the scientific community that our perceptions are absolutely and incontrovertibly correct. In all cases, our perceptions are taken as "Truth" unless we can absolutely prove they are in error. In actual fact it seems much more rational to assume our perceptions are in error until we can prove they are correct!"

regards, tim

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins