Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Well, Thank You Very Much!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on September 13, 2003 22:26:25 UTC

Hi Tim,

I don't come over here much any more. I only happened to drop by and saw Paul's note about the Axiom of Choice and made a couple of posts. It was very nice of you to bring this discussion back up to the top. I didn't notice it the other day because it had already been moved a good distance down.

You seem to be getting a good handle on what I am trying to say and I appreciate your efforts. With regard to "knowable" and "unknowable" data, the first is what is a real part of reality (if that makes sense) and the second is the stuff we make up in order to make reality make sense.

It is fundamentally impossible to tell the difference between them as we have required that everything must obey the resultant explanation. In ordinary attacks on science, the fact that something obeys all the rules (essentially causes all the effects supposed to be caused by a real object) is taken as proof that it is real.

So it follows that, from the standard perspective of science, my unknowable data is just as real as the knowable data. What is important in my derivation is that knowable data cannot possibly change as it is what is to be explained. On the other hand, the explanation can contain whatever unknowable data seems convenient to our explanation.

I don't want to confuse you. If you have any questions about chapter 1, please ask. You do know how to reach me directly don't you?

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins