Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Escape Clause

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on September 4, 2003 12:01:30 UTC

surely we will die... regardless of the veracity of the metaphor.

***I mean as a species- not the christian interpretation***

but it does seem to me that science "points" to a power that is greater than nature,

***My original interest in physics as a pre-teen was that the secret to life, or what some might call god, lies in the microscopic realm of the atom. After a half century, the realm has become the Planck scale. But I still think the secret to life and creation and even god lies more in physics than any other discipline.***

it's a human condition and there are as we all know many others, confusion, love, hatred, fear, courage ect. these are conditions of the spirit for which no hard science exists

***Maybe not so. Here is a link to some neuroscience that purports to explain enlightenment as well as positive and negative emotions in terms of organs of the brain
http://www.innerworlds.50megs.com/moksha.htm

from the Christian perspective i beleive the escape clause would be faith.

***Jesus said "for those who have ears to hear, hear". I take this to be a commandment to pay attention to what is going on in the world. Jesus was probably referring to the end days. But that is equivalent to recognizing the possible end of days for us humans and then trying to do something to prevent their happening. Faith alone is not enough. You cannot expect god to do the work that you can do yourself.

Actually the two opposite predictions of revelations: one that we we die soon in a nuclear holocaust, and the other that we survive for at least another 1000 years, suggests that our fate is in our hands and not god's. I think that we may be the escape clause. It's up to us to rid the world of evil, or at least get it under sufficient control to get rid of nuclear weapons***

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins