Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very Intricate Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 8, 2003 02:53:03 UTC

Let's suppose [t]hat eventually heaven is found to reside in Dark Matter and that its constituents and processes can be explained by supersymmetric and superfluid physics. Would heaven then be removed from the realm of the supernatural?

In such a scenario, are you saying that heaven must reside in dark matter, and that heaven's constituents and processes are definitely part of supersymmetric and superfluid physics? Is there any room for doubt in this conclusion even if dark matter is explained by supersymmetric and superfluid physics?

If the concept of heaven is required by an methodological naturalist approach, then I'm of the opinion that you would be holding a metaphysical naturalist approach if you believed that this particular heaven (as the metaphysical naturalist approach conceived of the concept) actually existed. This concept of heaven should not be confused with the traditional religious concept of Heaven as a non-material which is a metaphysical supernaturalist belief. I think many religionists would reject the metaphysical naturalist heaven as good as it might look on paper since it is a material 'heaven'. It's not unlikely that some religionists would consider it a false heaven conceived by scientists. Other religionists might accept metaphysical naturalism.

Of course, it is extremely unlikely that any methodological naturalist approach would require any concept even close to resembling a spiritual heaven. The reason is that heaven is not Heaven without God there, and in order for a methodological naturalist position to accept that a spiritual Being is in this naturalist-conceived heaven, is beyond the point of reason. Therefore, unless I misunderstand you, it would seem that the only heaven that could be offered by your approach is something similar to another world. Of course, demons, goblins, or extraterrestrials could dwell there just as easily as God would dwell there. So, I don't see it anyway likely that the supernatural conception of Heaven is about to be replaced by a metaphysical naturalist version.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins