Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
One Important Correction

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on August 8, 2003 14:43:37 UTC

In that hypothetical case, in my opinion, God and Heaven become naturalist terms.

Oops, I made a mistake. God in this example remains a supernatural term.

The key that I should have mentioned, is that in order to accept an object as a natural object versus supernatural object is the ability to explain the functioning of that object in context to theory. It's not good enough just to have an observation. We can presumably observe supernatural phenomena, we just can't explain it(since, if we can, it is a natural object).

If heaven was needed to satisfy the implications of a theory that cohered with other confirmed physical theories, and had the necessary predictions and confirmations of those predictions, then heaven is a natural objects.

My response shown above was a little misleading because I mentioned that God becomes a naturalist object after the probe is used to identify God. In correction to my statement, God still remains a supernatural object (although one that we can recommend with some confidence as existing) since we have no other theoretical knowledge of God other than what the probe observed. But, the heaven realm that we sent the probe is a natural realm since we supposedly have a good theory that requires it's existence (which is why we were able to send the probe in this hypothetical).

Sorry for that.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins