Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Please Define The Process You Call 'counting'

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 7, 2003 13:46:52 UTC

Alan,

For reference you said:

***Suppose that "hot" means "jiggling space" means "uncertainty in space"; and that "cold" means "relatively certain space";

Suppose that "counting" something certain means: making it more diffuse; and that counting something uncertain means "making it more specific". ***

I can think of physical processes that make something certain more diffuse. For example, if you break a balloon, the location of the gas formerly in the balloon diffuses. So is "counting" another name for releasing?

No. Because you cannot then "count" the released gas and collect it back into the balloon.

However, if we put heat energy into the balloon, it expands and its location is less certain. If we take heat energy out of the balloon, it shrinks and becomes more certain in location.

So perhaps counting refers to the addition or substraction of heat, which is reversable.

But I doubt if that is what you mean by your use of the word "counting".

So please tell me what physical process you are invoking.

That word also implies a consciousness to do the counting. If so, then we have to again 'agree to disagree' as I do not believe that a human or even godlike consciousness is required to run this world.

Yours,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins