Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Comments

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael Levine on July 21, 2003 16:06:38 UTC

Illusion is illusion. Ambiguity is ambiguity. Confusion is confusion. Assumption is assumption. Boxing things in to number-labels is boxing things in to number labels. Zeno's Arrow is Zeno's arrow.

Do you think there's a chance you could be wrong about that? Is 'illusion' all there is to 'illusion', or is there more?

Language is about boxing things. Words contain far less information than the objects they refer to. Take the word 'horse', for instance; how many ways can an object be called a horse? If you think about all the possible ways you can imagine, you'll soon see something quite peculiar: horses don't exist! I mean, there is no single true statement with the word 'horse' in it which is true for all things that can be called 'horse'. So whenever you look in the world and think you are seeing 'a horse', you are fooling yourself. Horses don't exist. Only things that cannot be talked about exist.

I refer to "things that cannot be talked about" as abstract, but I know that is not right. After all, we can talk about 'abstract'. So everyone must do some thinking on their part.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins