Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"meeting" As Ultimate Definition...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on July 23, 2003 21:29:19 UTC

Hi; may I quote:

""X is a horse" is only true if everything that is true about 'X' is also true about 'horse'"

As you must know too well, there is no physical entity for which every true statement about it is also a true statement about 'horse'. For instance, "horses have four legs" sounds like a true statement about horses, but a horse doesn't cease to be a horse if you cut one of his legs off. A three-legged horse is still a horse, albeit a less-than-ideal one.

My point is simple: the word 'horse' implies a state of perfection and sameness which just doesn't exist in the physical world. A 'horse', by any definition, is a mythical creature. "

It is the nature of the existence of a thing that it is unique. It would be a contradiction to double-book "horse" as both "horse" and the proposed physical entity for which EVERY statement about it is also true of "horse".....?

There is only one "true" horse; as I said: every horse you meet; every perspective YOU have on HORSE: that is a unique MEETING between you and horse.

A generalised definition of horse can be specified more and more by intersection of categories (see "Introduction To Philosophical Analysis" by John Hospers on the nature of definition and explanation). As I rather vaguely recall according to John Hospers; explanations involve a wider context in which things are defined.

Things are explained in terms of other things related to them.

Ultimately things just are. The ultimate explanation appears to be "meeting"; this translates easily to Christianity; being and letting be; freedom meets freedom in freedom; consciousness; God is love.

Regards,

Alan

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins