Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Ouch!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 7, 2003 20:02:37 UTC

" I don't think that is necessarily a fact "

You mean, you don't think it's necessarily a fact that, if you're traveling at the speed of light, it takes 94 years to reach a planet that is 94 light-years away? What kind of nonsense is that?

" The concept of warping space or 'jumping' space from one place to another (or making millions of mini-jumps) might prevent the kind of earth aging as you suggest "

Sure. We can also hire a few fairies, ask them to freeze time on earth while the astronauts go about their business of "jumping space", and on return one of the astronauts (it has to be a beautiful prince) will kiss Sleeping Beauty and the whole planet will wake up.

I hope you will forgive me for thinking a fairy tale is more credible than your "science".

" Again, why do we need to guess where science cannot take us and label it as fact? "

You mean it's not a fact that we can't travel farther than the moon? It's not a fact that it won't happen today, it won't happen in your lifetime, and if it does happen 500 years from now we couldn't care less?

Sorry but I'm not the one coming up with guesses!

" The future is difficult to predict with any degree of accuracy, especially future science "

Why "especially future science"? Why not "especially the weather", or "especially which lottery numbers should I bet on"? What's so awesome about science that makes it reasonable to dream we may learn to "jump space" or "travel faster than light" in less time than it took us to learn how to circumnavigate our little planet?

" I'm not talking about current science, I'm talking about the possibility that physics will continue to advance far beyond where it is today. In such a possible future, the ability to travel near luminal or superluminal speeds (or jumps) cannot be rejected as impossible. "

Nothing can be reject as impossible! So what? Are we to believe any Language Removed just because a bunch of mad scientists and their misinformed supporters like the idea?

I'm sorry Harv, it was a mistake. Let's just drop this subject before it gets worse.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins