Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You're Not A Buddhist - You're A Harvist

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 4, 2003 13:59:32 UTC

I can't speak for all Christians; this is just my impression of things I consider essential to the faith, things you cannot do and still call yourself a Christian:

- unlike Muslims, Christians cannot have more than one wife
- unlike Jews, Christians cannot deny the divinity of Jesus
- unlike Hindus, Christians cannot believe in social segregation
- unlike Buddhists, Christians cannot believe they have the power to attain salvation by themselves

I could give you a much longer list but that should enough to make my point. And my point is that believing some divine order to the cosmos and the possibility of personal salvation does not make one a Christian. A Christian is a person who subscribes to a particular doctrine called Christianity, not someone who subscribes to a generic, abstract, all-encompassing form of ecumenism which tolerates everything and rejects nothing.

It's not important, at least in my opinion, to be a Christian. One may lead just as meaningful a life, possibly even more so, by being a Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist, whatever. I just think people should have a little respect for their traditions. It upsets me to see, for instance, Japanese youngsters singing Western pop ballads when their native music is not only just as beautiful, but it has the unique quality of being Japanese. In the same sense, I think your particular form of spirituality is full of beauty and meaning, I just don't think it's Christian in any sense of the word.

But if you like to think otherwise, by all means, don't let me stand in your way. Not that I possibly could anyway :-)

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins