Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Not A Buddhist

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on July 4, 2003 14:29:03 UTC

Aurino,

Let's go down this list:

- unlike Muslims, Christians cannot have more than one wife

I don't believe in having more than one wife, but it's not because there is some Christian law that forbids it, rather it is because it is not beneficial as Paul might say. Let me quote from Paul so that you can see where I am coming from as a Christian perspective:

1 Corinthians 10: 23 "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"--but not everything is constructive.

- unlike Jews, Christians cannot deny the divinity of Jesus

I don't deny the divinity of Jesus. My belief is that he is no mere man. That was my whole point about the basic Christian framework. The basic framework says that the Logos is involved - intimately involved - in the evolution of man, to the point of taking the form of men (actually all creatures are a form of the Logos, including men), but the spiritual man, Jesus, is the firstborn of the 'new man', the Logos taking a form that is the 'Son of God'. That identity with the man Jesus was predetermined and 'locked in' by the Logos.

- unlike Hindus, Christians cannot believe in social segregation

Again, I Cor. 10:23

- unlike Buddhists, Christians cannot believe they have the power to attain salvation by themselves

I believe salvation is from God through the Logos, the saving power of God.

I could give you a much longer list but that should enough to make my point. And my point is that believing some divine order to the cosmos and the possibility of personal salvation does not make one a Christian. A Christian is a person who subscribes to a particular doctrine called Christianity, not someone who subscribes to a generic, abstract, all-encompassing form of ecumenism which tolerates everything and rejects nothing.

I never just believe in a cosmic order. However, the cosmic order is the root of what I believe and I accept to believe the entire basic framework of Christianity, but as a liberal Christian I do not believe in God dictating word for word, or event for event. Rather, I see God's inspiration as a directional flow and as something that causes frameworks to evolve. Men are still 'inventing' religion in the sense that they are acting on their own psychologies and social issues, but the directional flow is caused by a 'wind' that comes from God.

It upsets me to see, for instance, Japanese youngsters singing Western pop ballads when their native music is not only just as beautiful, but it has the unique quality of being Japanese. In the same sense, I think your particular form of spirituality is full of beauty and meaning, I just don't think it's Christian in any sense of the word.

I think my view is Christian. In fact, I've encountered many Christians both on the web and in flesh and blood who have similar and parallel views. Perhaps it's not the kind of Christianity that you see on television.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins