Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Believe In God...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark on July 3, 2003 18:29:25 UTC

I believe in Jesus Christ.

I believe in the Holy Spirit.

But I need to put the bible down before I stop believing. The fairy tales and logical inadequacies (Old Testament, specifically: Genesis and Exodus) are starting to make me have doubts. -Moses appeals to God, "No Lord, please don't destroy my people." God says to Moses, "Then go on alone, for I am an angry God and they have become a stiff necked people. If I come along, I will surely strike them down!"

...As if God will lose his temper and make a rash decision. C'mon! So in other words, if he doesn't go along for the ride he won't know what's going on and so he won't get mad and strike them down? Why doesn't the all powerful Lord go along and simply control his temper if the destruction of Israel is not within his immediate game plan?

I think I'll stick to the New Testament for safety's sake. Afterall, my soul is hinging on my belief...

And my age is clear evidence that I haven't yet experienced enough life to be called 'wise'. So long as I don't die any time soon, I'll have plenty of life ahead of me to sort out all these issues. I believe myself to be fairly intelligent, but not brimming with wisdom. That comes with the white hairs...

Mike just posted my above post as an attack on me in defense to another post at the top of the forum. When I say nobody would emulate me and my Christian faith, what I mean is that I'm still learning and coming along. I have as of yet, no Christian wisdom to emulate, nor have I yet 'bore fruit' (as dictated in the New Testament). I would like to become a better Christian. I am reading the bible and going to church to learn how, but as Christ said, those don't make you considered a "faithful one" with "name written in the Book of Life". Those are ritual technicalities. True salvation comes from walking in the way of Christ, striving to become more like God (sinless, even despite recognition that complete sinlessness is impossible in our Earthly lives), asking for redemption through confession of sin, repentance, and acceptance of Christ as your savior, and bearing fruit (to prove your love for Christ through action, not cheap talk). I'm not "there" yet; there's nothing to emulate.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins