Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Seem To Be Contradictions In The Message From Glenn

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on June 13, 2003 17:42:16 UTC

Harv,

I took stock of all those quotes from Glenn's original post (that you list above) when I responded with the post entitled: "Do you believe in the supernatural", or words to that effect.

His response introduced the levels of consciousness where the eighth level is preserved from life to life, presumably in a supernatural medium. So in my mind, his response contradicts his original statement of fairly strict atheism.

He of course cannot have it both ways.

My experience in depth is with Siddha Yoga. They refuse to claim religious status, except perhaps under the umbrella of Hinduism. They prefer to be called a practice devoid of belief. That of course is as well not really true. The practice involves much belief. But it seems to me that Buddhism should be considered a practice with expressed benefits rather than a religion.

As you know, eastern religions are largely based on practices- saying mantras, chanting gitas, etc.- rather than on belief systems. You are essentially free, at least in Siddha Yoga, to belief anything you wish without spiritual harm. That appears to be true of Buddhism.

My experience is that they use some of the most powerful mantras available to us, on a par with the Holy Rosary, but often more dangerous. (Did that catch your attention?) One Buddhist teacher of mine, Elizabeth Claire Prophet, warned us about using certain mantras too often or suffer the consequences.

BTW, I believe that the Jewish mantra is 'to love the lord your god with all your heart, all your soul and all your might' as scripture tells us to recite this under a variety of circumstances. But then Jesus told us that it is useless to say such things over and over. That's an unresolved contradiction in my mind.

My take on the atheistic sentiments expressed by Glenn, and by the Dai Lama as well, is that they are trying to appeal to people who are already atheists, like they presume most scientists to be. So in fact, if I can spell it correctly, they are just proselytizing.

Good conversing with you,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins