Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Basing On Known Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 13, 2003 14:12:02 UTC

Hi Richard,

Let me clarify what I meant by "basing on known science" as a negative aspect of religion. If someone wants to smooth over their religion with respect to science, there is absolutely nothing negative in doing so. That is what religion has always been doing, in fact if religion didn't try to conform to known facts, we would still only have animistic religions of the Cro-Magnon.

What I meant by that comment is that religion isn't just trying to conform to science, but in addition, religion tries to act as if it thought of it first, or act as if it is a science or so closely aligned to science that we shouldn't mind the difference. For example, it is one thing to say that the Christian religion conforms to our modern cosmology, it is entirely a different thing to say that Christianity invented the big bang concept in Genesis.

You see this a lot by Christian fundamentalists. They will make a remark that some scripture in Isaiah says the earth was known to be an orb, or something of the sort. I know some fundamentalists (Christian and others) get so caught up in this concept that they try to prove the truth of their beliefs by showing that if you read their scriptures in the 'correct' light you will see how the 'true' understanding shows them in conformance to science.

The other version of this religious misuse of science is what I saw implied in Glenn's post. It seemed to be saying, "look here is a scientific religion that you people who are sensible can become involved, don't pay attention to those other theist religions that contradict science". I see this as negative and a misuse of science since science doesn't say anything profound about whether there is a God or not. And, to charade as a scientific-like religion is full of fallacies as I tried to communicate to Glenn. Sorry for the misleading statement, but I was short on time.

Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins