Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Make Some Good Points, Alan

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on May 15, 2003 13:51:16 UTC

I completely agree with you re the flawed view of differences in personality as "mental disorders". To a good extent I think it's true that we have a modern equivalent of a witch hunt. People who arbitrarily oppose the arbitrary norms of society are more a problem for society than for themselves.

That said, Alan, you are naive for thinking it all boils down to that. If someone likes to masturbate 25 times a day, that is their problem, but if they like to do it in public, it ceases to be their problem and society has every right to enforce its standards of behaviour. Every single person who engages in anti-social, self-destructive, or psychotic behaviour believes he is perfectly justified in his choice. They are wrong, and that is what makes them 'crazy'. The Chesterton quote captures it perfectly: madness is not about faulty thinking, it's about too much thinking.

The problem with you, Dick, and others, is that you developed a mechanism to translate every single criticism of your points of view into evidence that you are correct. We can't help you break out of it, you have to choose to leave the comfort of your certainties so that you can face reality, which is uncertain by nature. But again, as long as you're not planning to take people to heaven on a flying saucer, or something of the like, living outside of reality is exclusively your problem.

I write all this with the best of intentions, but as they say, I may be helping pave the road to hell. It's the best I can offer you anyway.

Take care,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins